County Farm Bureaus are encouraged to nominate members for appointment to MFB Advisory Committees by Aug. 16; current members’ terms of service expire at the end of the year. The appointment window was moved to earlier in the year so as to avoid conflicts with county annual meeting planning.
Advisory committees are a critical part Farm Bureau’s infrastructure, representing specific commodity and marketing interests as well as issue-specific concerns like labor, direct marketing and natural resource issues. They provide vital input to the MFB Board of Directors and policy development process.
The Rules of Organization and Operation of MFB Advisory Committees explain the purpose, makeup and membership of the 13 committees. Counties receive an automatic appointment to any committee in which they lead production, as noted below:
- AQUACULTURE & COMMERCIAL FISHING — 8 members; all counties eligible; no automatic counties designated; contact Ernie Birchmeier, 517-679-5335
- DAIRY — 16 members; automatic appointments: Huron, Clinton, Sanilac, Allegan, Ionia, Missaukee, Gratiot, Barry; contact Ernie Birchmeier, 517-679-5335
- DIRECT MARKETING — 12 members; automatic appointments: Berrien, Lapeer, Macomb, Ottawa, Kent, Van Buren, Allegan; contact Audrey Sebolt, 517-391-5055
- DRY BEAN & SUGAR BEET — 12 members; automatic appointments: Huron, Sanilac, Tuscola, Saginaw, Bay, Gratiot; contact Theresa Sisung, 517-323-6729
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT — 16 members; all members at-large; contact Ernie Birchmeier, 517-679-5335
- EQUINE — 12 members; automatic appointments: Washtenaw, Allegan, Oakland, Livingston, Jackson, St. Joseph; contact Ernie Birchmeier, 517-679-5335
- FEED GRAINS, OILSEEDS & WHEAT — 16 members; automatic appointments: Sanilac, Lenawee, Saginaw, Huron, Tuscola, Gratiot, Hillsdale, St. Joseph; contact Theresa Sisung, 517-323-6729
- FORESTRY — 10 members; automatic appointments: Copper Country, Mac-Luce-Schoolcraft, Hiawathaland, Iron Range, Chippewa; contact Craig Knudson, 231-357-3864
- FRUIT & VEGETABLE —14 members; automatic appointments: Van Buren, Ottawa, Berrien, Montcalm, Kent, Monroe, St. Joseph; contact Audrey Sebolt, 517-391-5055
- LABOR — 8-12 members; all members at-large; contact John Kran, 517-679-5336
- LIVESTOCK & POULTRY — 16 members; automatic appointments: Allegan, Ottawa, Huron, Ionia, Cass, Gratiot, Branch, Mecosta; contact Ernie Birchmeier, 517-679-5335
- NATURAL & ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCES — 13 members; one member from each MFB district and two at-large; contact Laura Campbell, 517-679-5332
- NURSERY & GREENHOUSE — 12 members; automatic appointments: Ottawa, Kalamazoo, Kent, Allegan, Monroe, Wayne; contact Audrey Sebolt, 517-391-5055
Counties receiving automatic appointments must submit two nominations for each committee. Other counties may submit up to two nominations for each committee.
All nominees must be regular Farm Bureau members, commercial producers of the commodity, representative of the industry and willing to serve by attending the meetings.
Committees meet once or twice annually. Those who have served on past advisory committees are eligible for reappointment. Appointments are for a two-year period, 2020-21, beginning January 1, 2020.
Click here for the nomination form to be completed and returned to MFB by Aug. 16.
Mail nominations to the MFB Center for Commodity, Farm & Industry Relations, P.O. Box 30960, Lansing, MI 48909; or email to Andrena Reid or fax to 517-323-0230. To submit nominations online, work with your County Administrative Manager to complete the application here.
For more information, contact your MFB Regional Representative or staffer listed for each committee.